For a student the word “Dissertation” means nothing but a time consuming and monotonous work which he can’t avoid at any cost. Writing a dissertation takes a lot of skill, hard work, attention, will power and lots of knowledge. Dissertation demands your complete attention starting from step one to the last. Starting from the extensive research for your dissertation to the last step which is editing, you have to be extremely careful and attentive.
The main step in writing a dissertation is the starting step which is extensive research. Without proper research your dissertation will lack proper content and quality. The most important part of a dissertation is the content and without proper research you won’t be able to get a good content which is a must for a good quality dissertation. Content forms the crux of a dissertation and everything else revolves around it.
Tips Worth Keeping in Mind!!!
There are many things which you should keep in mind while doing research for your dissertation.
1) You should realize that research for your dissertation is not an easy task and should not be taken lightly. It is your thorough research that enables you to write your dissertation and earn your degree.
2) If you are doing qualitative or quantitative research, or experiments, start on these as soon as you can. Gathering data from these takes a lot of time. Some experiments may take longer than you anticipate especially if they require special equipment and learning of new methods.
3) Research widely. When you start your dissertation research, make up your mind that you will explore as many resources as possible to get a good content till you are satisfied. Visit all kinds of libraries like your university library, local libraries and online libraries and make sure you don’t skim through instead do a thorough research
4) Do a literature review without fail. Literature review means going through the data which is already published either on paper or internet. It’s very important as you will extensive data which you can use while writing your dissertation.
5) For most dissertations the data collection phase feels like the most important part. However, you should avoid jumping straight into data collection phase until you have adequately defined your research problem, and researched properly to the widest extent possible.
Keeping these simple things in mind while doing a research for your dissertation you can get the best content possible and then build your dissertation around it. Keep in mind that the core is the most important in anything and in case of a dissertation the research is the core.